Dr John C Stevenson, MB BS, FRCP, FESC, MFSEM
is a Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist at the Royal Brompton Hospital, London and Reader in Metabolic Medicine at Imperial College London.
Dr Stevenson has clinical expertise in:
- Thyroid disorders
- General endocrine problems
He qualified in medicine at King’s College Hospital Medical School, London, in 1972 and undertook training in general medicine in London and Southampton. He completed his specialist training in Endocrinology and Metabolism at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London, where he developed a particular interest in calcium and bone metabolism, and their regulation by sex steroids. He subsequently extended his research and expertise into the effects of sex hormone deficiency and replacement both on the skeleton and on the cardiovascular system as Director of a Medical Research Institute in Imperial College London. In 1993, he jointly established the first Female Heart Disease Clinic in the UK at the Royal Brompton Hospital.
He has presented his research extensively, with over 430 scientific publications including 11 textbooks, and lectures at scientific meetings and congresses throughout the world. He is an active member of several scientific societies, and has served on various committees and editorial boards. His current interests include the interrelation of cardiovascular disease risk factors and their modification by therapeutic means, as well as the effects of menopause on the heart and the skeleton.
Honorary posts and appointments
- Chairman of the charity Women’s Health Concern
- Trustee of the British Menopause Society
- Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
- Foundation Member of the Faculty of Sports and Exercise Medicine (UK)
- Executive Committee Member of the European Menopause and Andropause Society
- Executive Committee Member of the International Society of Gynecological endocrinology
- Editorial Board Member, Osteoporosis International
- Editorial Board Member, Climacteric
- Editorial Board Member, Postreproductive Health
- Past Chairman of the British Menopause Society
- Past Treasurer of the UK Bone Research Society
- Past Executive Committee Member of the International Menopause Society
- Past non-US Section Head, Cardiovascular diseases in women (reproductive and post-reproductive age), Women’s Health, Faculty of 1000 Medicine
- Past Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the National Osteoporosis Society (UK)
- Past member of the Medical Research Council (UK) Advisory Board
- Past Editor of Maturitas
He has been happily married to Bonnie, previously a Nursing Sister, since 1977. They have 3 children.
Ben is a BSc graduate working as southern area manager for Flight Centre UK. He is married to Claire with two baby daughters, Jessica and Molly.
Tom is a Surgeon Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy, training to be an orthopaedic surgeon and currently doing a full time PhD at Cranfield University. He is married to Naomi with a newborn son, Monty.
Emily is a BA drama graduate from the University of Hull running her own business, Animal Elves. She is married to Noah.
The family is completed by Nelson and Toby (two British Short-hair cats).
He is honorary Medical Officer and an honorary Vice-President to Esher Rugby Football Club (an overriding sporting interest!).